When it comes to mentoring programs for young adults, IT TAKES LITTLE TO BE BIG. BBBSLI is dedicated to improving lives and defending the potential that is at risk of getting wasted. We believe small efforts can make significantly big changes in the life of someone. We have teenage mentoring programs during which we match a BIG with a LITTLE. The former provides the latter with guidance on many matters to help them adjust to life. It takes a few hours of BIG’s time, but it has a life-long impact on the LITTLE. And this is how small efforts can really transform lives.
How Teenage Mentoring Programs are Changing Lives
Teenage mentoring programs have immense potential to change the lives of at-risk individuals. It is a great opportunity for mentees to meet mentors who will help them through the difficulties in life. Such programs are beneficial for both BIGS and LITTLES. While mentees benefit from the guidance and mature advice, the mentors also get a new perspective on life and improve their interpersonal skills.
There have been many examples where mentorship programs for young adults have changed lives for the better. From improved behaviour to better academic performance, the benefits derived are numerous.
How to Contribute to Mentoring Programs for Young Adults
To become a mentor and contribute to changing lives for the better is a noble cause. And what’s better is that it is not rocket science; it is quite simple. You can help those enrolled in teenage mentoring programs in many ways. We have listed down a few tips that will help you contribute well to the life of a mentee.
- Identify Your Purpose for Mentoring – Whether it is the urge to help others or gain a new perspective on life, you should know your purpose. Mentoring is a serious business, and identifying why you want to become a mentor is important to be good at it. When you have a clear goal in mind, you have the clarity needed to mentor someone and guide them through a clear path.
- Provide Opportunities – As a mentor, you should provide your mentees with opportunities. These can be through your network or by prompting mentees to apply for something online. Opportunities is a wider term that includes professional opportunities but also activities that can help mentees better themselves in some way. Find ways to better the life of your mentee – it is the ultimate goal of a mentoring program for young adults.
- Train Mentees in Certain Skills – You can help your mentees greatly by teaching them new skills. These can be life skills such as cooking, laundry, sewing, etc. or professional skills such as typing, accounting, etc. Whatever you feel comfortable teaching, which you feel a mentee can benefit from, is welcomed.
- Give Advice – As a mentor, there will be many times when mentees will ask you for advice. These can be on various matters, from school issues to family problems. It is important to be sensitive and give them sensible advice. Be solution-oriented and provide them with a way to tackle their problems. You can contribute by giving them advice, which helps them decide a course of action best for their well-being.
- Share Inspiration – As a mentor, you should share inspiration with your mentees. One of the advantages of teenage mentoring programs is that mentees can find a lot of inspiration from mentors. You can be inspiring or share some inspiration with your mentees to motivate them and help them improve their lives.
- Encourage Mentees – As a mentor, you should encourage your mentees to move forward in life and create a path for themselves. Encourage them to learn something new or try an activity. Try to release the fear and hesitation from them so they can do new things that can help them develop themselves.
Mentoring Activities for Youth
Connecting with your mentee is an essential part of being a mentor. While talking to them is the easiest option, it is not often the most effective or feasible. Doing activities together can be a great way to bond at youth mentoring programs. You have a few hours every month to create a connection, and the best way to do it is to do an activity that can help you understand the mentee better and vice-versa.
If you are not sure what activities you can do together with your mentee, we have listed some recommendations below.
- Reading Together
- Board Games
- Watching Movies
- Talk About Memories
- Sketching and Paintings
- Explore the City
- Try New Food
- Have New Experiences
- Spend Quality Time
IT TAKES LITTLE TO BE BIG – How Can You Help
BBBSLI firmly believes in the adage, ‘Every effort counts.’ Being a mentor and spending a few hours a month with the mentee can positively impact them. We encourage all those interested in applying for the position of being a BIG through our website. We have a criteria which includes you to be the following –
- Your age should be 18+
- You should pass our background check
- You should have a valid New York driver’s license, insurance, and vehicle
- You should commit for at least a year
However, being a BIG is not the only way to contribute to transforming lives. There are many ways in which your small efforts can transform lives. If you have ever wondered about clothes donation near me, then that is one of the ways you can contribute to changing lives. BBBSLI accepts clothing donations to help at-risk youth. Our mentorship programs for young adults are open to contributions in cash or kind to help improve people’s lives.