Do you want to become a mentor? Are you wondering what it is like being a mentor to youth? Then, this is the right place for you! At BBBSLI, we run youth mentoring programs that are aimed at creating a safe environment for young people. We want to provide them with guidance and emotional support so they can succeed in life and be responsible adults.
Being a mentor or a BIG is a privilege as well as a responsibility. It gives you an opportunity to become a mentor and improve someone’s life. Mentorship is an important activity that impacts the lives of both mentor and mentee. If you want to change a life too, read further to know more!
What is Mentorship for Youth and Why is it Important?
Mentoring programs for youth are created to provide guidance to at-risk youth. At BBBSLI, our mentorship programs for youth match a mentor with a mentee. The match is supervised and then, both meet for a few hours every month. The mentors or BIGS provide guidance and support to mentees or LITTLES. Mentorship requires you to commit to having clear communication with a mentee to support their growth and development.
Mentorship is important for both BIGS and LITTLES. There are several benefits that one can derive from participating in such programs. It encourages the personal and professional development of an individual. It helps one to grow in life and get the needed support that they may be lacking. Being a mentor to youth is a highly motivating activity for both mentee and mentor. There is a lot to learn and share which makes it a highly collaborative and productive activity.
Being a Mentor to Youth Can Change Your Life Too
There are various benefits mentees derive from mentorship programs. That is not all though, mentors can get many benefits from such programs as well. Below we have mentioned how becoming a mentor can change your life better as well.
- It Helps You Change Lives – Being a mentor to young adults can help you change their lives. We have noticed that more than 95% of LITTLES complete high school and go to college after they are guided by a mentor. A few hours of your time each month can help make an individual’s life.
- It Increases Your Self-esteem – Knowing you are creating a positive impact on an individual can help you develop high self-esteem. Mentorship is important for this particular reason, it improves the self-respect one has for oneself while helping another person improve theirs.
- It Improves Your Communication Skills – Being a mentor requires you to have clear communication skills. What you tell your mentees matters to them. Hence, while you are guiding a mentee, it can also help you improve your communication skills and allow you to share your thoughts more eloquently.
- It Changes Your Perception of Life – At youth mentorship programs, there are individuals from different backgrounds and varied stories. Your perception of life can undergo a major change once you start learning what type of life others have lived and how much scope for improvement there is once an individual gets a mentor.
- It Gives You a Sense of Purpose – Taking responsibility for an individual for a few hours every month will give you a strong sense of purpose. While you are not replacing a parent, teacher, or therapist, you are guiding them through life which will fill you with a sense of purpose and fulfillment.
- It Can Help You Network – Being a mentor is all about building relationships. Your relationship with your mentee will always be special. However, being part of a youth mentoring program also helps you connect with other individuals who may have the same interests as you. We also have resources for mentors who can help you connect with others doing the same noble work as you.
How Do You Become a Mentor?
To become a mentor, every youth mentoring program near you will have tier own criteria and process. It is important to understand this process carefully before applying. At BBBSLI, we have a process which is designed to thoroughly check whether the person who has applied is fit to be a BIG or not. This is done to ensure that both mentors and mentees are matched well and able to benefit from the program.
- The first step to becoming a mentor is to visit our website and go here.
- You can apply by filling out your information on the application form.
- If you are selected, we will schedule an orientation and interview with you.
- We run an in-depth screening test to match you with the mentee.
- We do a match introduction activity during which you and the mentee can meet and understand a little about each other.
- Once the match is made, it is supervised initially to ensure it is beneficial for the mentee.
- After this, it is a continuous process that requires you to spend a few hours every month for a period of at least one year.
Eligibility Criteria to Become a BIG
If you want to join our youth mentoring programs at BBBSLI and become a BIG, then you should fulfill the following requirements. The criteria are created keeping various factors in mind so, please ensure you fulfill each one of them.
- You should be 18+
- You should pass a background check
- You should have a valid NY driver’s license, insurance, and vehicle
- You should commit for at least a year
We welcome all the individuals fulfilling the mentioned criteria to become a mentor and help change one life at a time. There is no bigger privilege than being able to create and defend potential and witness someone’s growth.