Youth mentorship programs are an excellent opportunity for personal growth. Mentors can have a positive impact on the lives of mentees, giving them a new and improved perspective on life. It is not uncommon for people with mentors to completely change their lives for good despite any disadvantages.
When it comes to mentorship for personal growth, small actions can create a big impact on someone’s life. A little support from mentors can go a long way in improving the mentee’s quality of life. Youth mentorship is an important exercise through which youngsters move forward in life with the correct attitude.
Mentorship for Personal Growth
Youth mentorship programs are geared toward personal growth and development. Various children have an unstable family life and this can stunt their emotional growth. Mentorship for personal growth helps such children get the support needed to move on with life with a positive outlook.
Benefits of Youth Mentorship Programs
There are many benefits of youth mentorship programs. Children who are enrolled in such programs gain many benefits that create a big impact on their lives.
- Improved Behavior – Children who are mentored often develop an improved attitude and behavior toward school, parents, and life, in general. Youth mentorship programs holistically deal with behavioral issues to find effective solutions.
- Better Grades – With correct guidance, all children can succeed even in the toughest subjects. Mentees often experience an improvement in their grades due to the guidance they receive.
- Lower Dropout Rate – Youth mentorship is also known to result in higher college enrollment. Children who are guided by mentors are generally less likely to drop out of school or their particular grade.
- Better Career Direction – Youth mentoring programs also facilitate career guidance which helps mentees with their career direction. Such programs help mentees explore their interests and get guidance from experienced mentors.
- Becoming More Productive – Mentees tend to become more productive and efficient with their tasks when they do it with a mentor. The influence of mentos can encourage one to become more productive.
- Enhanced Self-esteem – Being a part of youth mentoring programs also helps develop strong self-esteem. When you are constantly encouraged and motivated, you develop the confidence to do things without letting any insecurities get in the way.
- Reduced Risk of Addiction – Youth mentorship programs are also helpful in reducing the risk of developing addiction. Having a mentor you can talk to and who is emotionally there to support you is helpful in keeping youth away from drugs.
Where Can I Find Mentoring Programs Near Me?
BBBSLI is a mentoring program for all young people aged between 6 to 16 residing in Long Island. We match these LITTLES with mentors (BIGS) who are above the age of 21 years. Mentoring is a voluntary activity. All volunteers go through an interview and a background check before a match with the LITTLE is made. We have a professional team dedicated to supervising the match to monitor and offer guidance wherever needed.
We take youth mentorship seriously and believe it has the potential to improve the lives of children. We aim to bring them guidance that can push them in a positive direction. Our mentors and mentees meet at least twice a week for three to four hours. They are free to choose the activity of their choice to bond.
Our Youth Mentoring Programs
BBBSLI has different youth mentorship programs with each having its own objectives. We believe in the well-being of both mentors and mentees and our programs are designed to ensure exactly that.
- One-on-One Mentoring – We offer one-to-one matches where an adult mentor is matched with a child who can benefit from the guidance. We ensure that BIGS and LITTLES are meeting consistently and proper support is provided so the mentor can guide the mentee through their issues successfully, without it being overwhelming for either.
- Sibling Support Program – This program is for the siblings of children with special needs. It is common for such children to face issues due to the special attention their sibling needs. The aim is to provide these children with additional that they may be lacking at home. Mentors meet with these children and do various activities to help their growth. They play games, share experiences, seek advice, and more. This program is created so no children feel isolated or not supported through their journey into adulthood.
- Big Couples – This program is designed for couples who want to mentor a child together. In this program, you and your spouse or long-term partner can become BIGS to a child and spend time with them together or individually. This program is great for improving the bond between the mentors and for mentees to get the needed attention.
- Site-Based Mentoring – The program is for children in need of a positive role model who can provide them with guidance in a professional setting. Mentors and mentees meet on-site at regular intervals. BIGS provides LITTLES with homework guidance and friendship.
- Bigs in Blue – The program is built with the motive to improve the relationship between children and professionals in law enforcement. Local police force, sheriff’s office, firefighters, and other first responders mentor the LITTLES to provide them with guidance. The program aims to reduce the rate of youth crimes. Additionally, this program also motivates children to take up careers in public safety.
- Sports Buddies – This program allows mentees to engage in physical activity with the mentors. Through this program, we promote a healthy lifestyle. It also gives children from low-income families an opportunity to participate in sports that otherwise may be difficult for them.
We have several programs to suit the needs of the children. We ensure we are sharing values and defending potential to create a bright future for our LITTLES.